The mission of The Ikeja Record is to become the most-trusted and most-accurate information resource for people who live or work in Ikeja. That means seeking out the truth and helping people understand the world from an Ikeja perspective is at the heart of everything we do.
To support our mission, we are currently seeking a talented Staff Writer to join our team. As a Staff Writer at The Ikeja Record, you will play a crucial role in producing high-quality journalism that informs and engages our audience. You will have the opportunity to cover a wide range of topics relevant to Ikeja and contribute to our publication’s growth and reputation.
- Generate well-researched and compelling news articles, features, and opinion pieces on topics relevant to Ikeja and its community.
- Conduct interviews with key stakeholders, community members, and experts to gather information and quotes for your articles.
- Stay updated on local events, news, and trends in Ikeja to identify compelling story ideas.
- Collaborate with the editorial team to ensure accurate and factual reporting, adhering to journalistic standards and ethics.
- Pitch and contribute to editorial discussions to shape the publication’s content strategy and direction.
- Proven experience as a writer, preferably in a newsroom or media environment.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to produce clear, concise, and engaging content.
- Excellent research and interviewing abilities to gather information and conduct effective interviews.
- Familiarity with journalistic principles, fact-checking, and source verification.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Familiarity with Ikeja and its local culture, although not required.
- Passion for journalism and a commitment to promoting truth and accuracy.
- Previous experience in a similar role or working with news organizations.
The monthly pay for this role is N166,500
The role is remote.
How to apply: Send your Resume and a Cover Letter to [email protected]. The subject of the email should include ‘Staff Writer’.
The Ikeja Record is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, people with disabilities, and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The Question Marker Publishing Company, the publisher of The Ikeja Record, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The Question Marker will also endeavour to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates that require it.